Distance: 4 miles / 6.5 km
Time: Around 3-4 hours
Grade: Hard Leisure Walk
Start/Finish: SNPA car park 1 mile from Barmouth
Grid Reference: SH 625 166
Terrain: Fields, woods & some rough and wet terrain. Wear appropriate waterproof footwear.
Map: OS Explorer OL23 (Cadair Idris & Llyn Tegid)
How to get there?
On the A496 from Dolgellau into the town of Barmouth, just before the row of 4-storey Victorian houses (Porkington Terrace), take a sharp right along a narrow road uphill passing the Bae Abermaw Hotel. Follow this road for a about a mile until you reach the SNPA roadside parking on your right.
About this walk
On this varied and beautiful walk you can enjoy some of the most spectacular views in Snowdonia! Visitors have been walking parts of this walk since the Victorian period enjoying the splendid views of the Mawddach estuary, of the Cader Idris range and of the Cardigan Bay.
The first section of the walk up to the Panorama Walk viewpoint is easy and very suitable for young families, but other sections of this circular walk are very steep. Some sections can be very wet so please wear waterproof footwear.
ou will be passing the old Victorian gardens which used to be a very popular attraction for the visitors of Barmouth. An old derelict building can be seen there which used to be the old tea room for the visitors.
Towards the end of this circular walk you will be passing Garn which is a popular spot for climbing. It is often referred to as the ‘Barmouth Slabs’.
- From the car park, walk down hill in the direction of Barmouth and shortly turn left following the ‘Panorama Walk’ sign post. Head through a gate and follow the grassy track.
- Following the old road, you will reach a varied woodland. Pass through the gate in front of you and then pass through the gate on your right following the sign post for ‘Panorama Walk’. This path will lead you to thePanorama Walk viewpoint. (You will be rejoining the old road once you’ve been to the viewpoint.) Keep to the left while ascending through the trees to the rocky summit.
- Once you’ve had time to enjoy the splendid views walk onwards around the rocky summit and down the narrow path on the other side. Walk back to the gate near the old road.
- To continue the walk, turn right rejoining the old road. (The path can be very wet here.) Follow the old road for approximately 1km (0.6 miles) as it descends to the village of Cutiau passing theold Victorian gardens on your right.
- When you reach a tarmaced road, turn left and walk up the hill to the small village of Cutiau. The road in front of you splits three ways. Follow the track in the middle that has a public footpath sign on the fence. As you reach an old chapel follow the path on your right walking through the gate.
- Once you’ve passed the chapel, follow the public footpath and shortly you will reach a junction under the electric cables. Follow the narrow path to the left which climbs steeply through the woods and uphill. (The path can be very wet here.) Head through two gates.
- The path joins a tarmaced road as it passes a dwelling with old farm buildings. Follow the road until you reach a junction.
- At the T-junction turn left and walk along the road for about 100 meters.
- As you pass a turning on your right, follow the public footpath sign uphill between the stone wall on you right. Cross the stile and follow the path towards the radio mast heading through one gate.
- Keep right as the path splits near the radio mast, walking around the radio mast and along the line of the stone wall. Head through the gate next to the stile (leave the gate as you find it) and follow the faint path which climbs steeply uphill to the pass of Bwlch y Llan.
- As you reach Bwlch y Llan, head through the gate and follow the narrow path onwards. Shortly, turn left to join the Taith Ardudwy Way path.
- Follow the path to the far end of the pass. (The path can be very wet here.) When you’ll see a stile next to a gate on your left, follow the path to the left which heads towards the stile. Cross the stile and follow the wide path for a while until you reach a small farm, Gellfawr.
- At Gellfawr, pass the front of the house and follow the grassy road. Cross the stile and follow the road shortly passingGarn on your right.
- Cross the last stile of this walk and follow the road down to the car park.